The Credit Risk Manager is responsible for the management of Credit Risk across the lifecycle of the unsecured loans portfolio. This not only includes being able to provide the strategic direction for the portfolio but also being able to undertake in-depth analysis of the portfolio. This position involves utilising insights gained from analytics to inform decision-making related to credit strategy and to determine the effectiveness of previous strategies implemented.
Being responsible for Credit Risk across the lifecycle is a fantastic opportunity to broaden your skills set and be an end-to-end portfolio owner. This is a hands-on role so be prepared to roll up your sleeves and get into the detail.
- Develop, implement and monitor credit strategies across the credit lifecycle for unsecured loans (small value, short term loans). These will include but are not limited to cut-off strategies, riskbased pricing and limit allocation strategies and collections strategies.
- Undertake in-depth credit risk analysis across the lifecycle and produce insights and value adding monitoring on a monthly and ad hoc basis
- Monitor and evaluate credit risk strategies implemented to ensure that they are within risk appetite
- Devise and set-up champion challenger strategies and monitor the effectiveness thereof
- Run the monthly impairment model and produce the related provisioning paper for discussion and sign-off by the key stakeholders
- Enhance the existing monthly and ad hoc reporting to identify trends, improve insights into the portfolio and drive Credit strategy as a result
- Provide direction and guidance to cross-functional teams to ensure that credit strategies and models are implemented as expected and obtain the desired outcome.
Qualification and Experience:
- BCom Honours in Economics, Finance, or related disciplines or alternatively a BSC Degree in Statistics or Mathematics (Quantitative degree) or equivalent.
- Analytical skills (ability to extract and analyse large volumes of data), coding skills (SQL, SAS, Python or related skills), model building skills (provision and scoring models would be advantageous), credit strategy development skills, presentation development (PowerPoint) & presentation skills, the ability to solve potentially complex problems and communicate the problem and outcome in a simplified manner, detail orientation and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- 5 Years + working in a Credit Risk environment preferably in an acquisitions role and preferably already at management level (note that management experience can be less than 5 years).
- Experience and exposure across the other parts of the Credit Risk lifecycle (Existing Customer Management, Collections Strategy and Provisions) would be advantageous.
- Any experience in Fraud or Compliance analytics would also be advantageous.
Successful Candidate Should have:
- The ability to operate both at a strategic and operational level
- Be a proactive individual who is a self-starter and gets things done
- The ability to work well with people and collaborate to develop practical and simple solutions to potentially complex credit related problems
- Good stakeholder management ability and the ability to develop relationships across senior and junior levels
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- An innate drive to succeed and a passion for credit as a tool to improve the lives of the poor
- Commercial savviness and the ability to balance the risk/reward equation